Frequently Asked Questions
What is the European Foundation for Management Development?
- EFMD is a global network organisation dedicated to the continuous improvement of management development.
What does EFMD do?
- It brings together leading academics and senior executives from business schools and companies and provides them with unparalleled benchmarking and networking opportunities. The members who communicate through the array of network activities share knowledge and best practices that improves their management efficiency and increases their competitive edge.
What is EFMD’s mission?
- “EFMD acts as a catalyst to promote and enhance excellence in management development in Europe and worldwide.”
Who manages EFMD?
- EFMD is led by a Director General who works with a Board of Directors comprised of representatives from across the membership.
Where is EFMD based?
- The EFMD head office is in Brussels, Belgium.
How is EFMD funded?
- EFMD is a not-for-profit organisation that is funded in part by membership fees. Additional funds come from grants, contracts, fee-based services, and from the sale of publications and advertising
Who are EFMD members?
- More than 20,000 management development professionals are actively involved in the network. EFMD has over 750 member organisations from academia, business, public service and consultancy in 80 countries. Many of the world’s leading business schools and companies currently use the EFMD network to their advantage.
What are the main EFMD services?
- Networking - EFMD offers a structured access to various communication channels that foster an active engagement and interaction by members on different themes and issues in the field of management development, and also enables bridge-building between business schools and corporations.
- Quality Assessment – EFMD helps its members with continuous quality improvement through the following accreditation schemes:
EQUIS - the European Quality Improvement System for business schools
EPAS - the EFMD Programme Accreditation System for business school programmes
CLIP - the Corporate Learning Improvement Process for corporate universities
CEL - the EFMD programme accreditation for technology-enhanced learning for both business schools and corporate universities.
- Advocacy and Lobbying – EFMD acts as a leading advocate and lobbyist for its members and the management education profession via continuous dialogue with leading institutions such as the European Commission, UN Global Compact, UNDP and World Bank / IFC.
- Knowledge Dissemination – EFMD generates and disseminates knowledge throughout its network for the benefit of its members and stimulates a culture of sharing that allows for a better understanding and insight into the latest developments in management development
What networking and learning opportunities does EFMD offer?
- EFMD's networking and learning opportunities range from large-scale conferences to small peer-based meetings and working groups, which usually run for a two–year period and result in an in-depth research study. The diversity of the EFMD network allows members to meet with peers to discuss, share and benchmark experiences. Visit the events section to find all our networking opportunities.
- All meetings are conducted in an atmosphere of confidence and trust, enabling members to address the issues that concern them most.
Why should I join EFMD?
- Membership of EFMD will provide you with the opportunity to learn and benefit from the shared experiences of the diverse network as well as access to its wide ranging portfolio of services
How do I join?
- Visit the membership section for more information.
- Once your application has been processed and approved, you will start to receive our publications and invitations to attend EFMD events.
How much does it cost to join EFMD?
- Membership fees range from €2331 for Affiliated Membership to €5826 for Full Membership. Visit the membership section for more information.
Can I sponsor research projects and events?
- Yes. Members often wish to become more actively aligned with issues that are strategically important to their organisations and can do so by sponsoring EFMD research projects and events.
Do you have any periodicals to keep me up-to date with global management practice?
- Yes. Global Focus the EFMD business magazine provides you with in-depth updates on the professional management development community and features topical reports and insight from leading experts. EFMD Newsletters covers membership news, learning group reports, international job opportunities, relevant events, latest research and new publications
What is the difference between EFMD membership and EFMD accreditation?
- EFMD membership does not automatically confer EQUIS or EPAS accreditation. It requires minimum international quality standards and the support of other EFMD member organisations. On the other hand, EFMD accreditation involves rigorous self-assessment and peer review under established quality frameworks. These have been designed to deal with the very diverse approaches to management education and development that exist around the world, thus preserving and promoting freedom in strategic choice.
What is the difference between EQUIS and EPAS accreditation?
- EQUIS is a whole school system in which every activity of the school is assessed while EPAS assesses individual degree programmes against more detailed criteria and only evaluates the whole school in terms of how it supports the programmes under review.
Should my School apply for EFMD membership when interested in EQUIS, EPAS, CLIP or CEL accreditation?
- Yes, the accreditation system is only open to EFMD members. We ask non-member Schools to launch the application process for EFMD membership before they officially launch an accreditation application. It is not necessary to have gone through the complete membership process and to be declared a member before commencing an accreditation process.
Why should I go through EPAS programme accreditation before EQUIS?
- EPAS is sometimes selected by schools as a path towards gaining familiarity with EFMD accreditations before they apply for accreditation of the whole business school.